So many choices! Which recipe will you try out tomorrow?!
2 or 3 small sweet potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
1 medium yellow onion
1 5 oz. bag of spinach
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cans of black beans
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
12 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
1 bag of medium flour tortillas (or corn tortillas if you’re gluten free)
- Heat oven to 425.
- Prick sweet potatoes with a fork, and place in a foil-lined dish. Maggie’s Tip: You can microwave or bake them. Baking takes longer but gives them more flavor!
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft and oozing sugars.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, sauté peppers, onion, and garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Now add in salt and seasonings and stir well.
- Drain, rinse and add black beans and sauté for another 5 minutes on medium.
- Cook for another 4 minutes. Wilt spinach, and add.
- While that cooks, grate cheese onto tortilla.
- Add the bean and veggie mixture. Roll and enjoy!
Maggie’s Burger Option: When the sweet potato cools, mash it and mix with the black beans. Add an egg, between 1/2 and 1 cup breadcrumbs and smokey southwest seasoning. Mold the mixture into burgers and grill in a pan with a little olive oil. Serve on a pita with mashed avocado for a boost of heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids!
Sara K. Madden